Recent PostsLOCAL ARTIST ATTENDS PRESTIGIOUS NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY Former Playboy Photographer teaches class in Maine High School Seniors Summer Models Wanted Maternity and Newborn Studio Models Needed - Maine Photography Studio Are you a photographer? Tote Bags, Pillows and Duvet Covers...oh my! Art2013 Opens May 10, 2013 Maine Photography Show 2013 50th Anniversary of the Windjammer Festival June 24-27th, 2012 Hot Summer Nights
Maine Lighthouse Day
Saturday, September 17th, 2011 is Maine Lighthouse Day. Lighthouses that are rarely open will be open for the public to enjoy and climb to the top. Guides will be available to answer questions and share history about the lighthouse and their keepers.
If you have never been inside a lighthouse and have always wanted to see the lens close up this is the day to visit. 25 Lighthouses located throughout the State of Maine will open their doors for all to experience.
• Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse -- Bass Harbor on Mount Desert Island (land-based)
• Browns Head Lighthouse -- Vinalhaven Island (offshore)
• Burnt Coat Harbor Lighthouse -- Swan's Island (offshore)
• Burnt Island Lighthouse -- Entrance to Boothbay Harbor (offshore)
• Curtis Island Lighthouse -- Entrance to Camden Harbor (offshore)
• Deer Island Thorofare Lighthouse -- Mark Island near Stonington (offshore)
• Doubling Point Lighthouse -- Arrowsic (land-based)
• Dyce Head Lighthouse -- Castine (land-based)
• Fort Point Lighthouse -- Cape Jellison near Stockton Springs (land-based)
• Grindle Point Lighthouse -- Islesboro (offshore)
• Kennebec River Range Lights (two towers) -- Arrowsic (land-based)
• Little River Lighthouse -- Entrance to Cutler Harbor (offshore), noon to 3 p.m.
• Marshall Point Lighthouse -- Port Clyde (land-based)
• Monhegan Island Lighthouse -- Monhegan Island (offshore), 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Owls Head Lighthouse -- Owls Head (land-based)
• Pemaquid Point Lighthouse -- Bristol (land-based)
• Portland Breakwater Lighthouse (Bug Light) -- South Portland (land-based)
• Portland Head Lighthouse -- Cape Elizabeth (land-based)
• Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse -- Rockland (land-based via a breakwater)
• Seguin Island Lighthouse -- Near entrance to Kennebec River off Popham Beach (offshore), 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Spring Point Lighthouse -- South Portland (land-based via a breakwater)
• Squirrel Point Lighthouse -- Arrowsic (land-based)
• West Quoddy Head Lighthouse -- Lubec (land-based)
• Wood Island Lighthouse -- Biddeford Pool (offshore)
Which one would you visit? Owls Head ~known as the most haunted? Portland Head Light where it’s told the basement is haunted by passengers that passed away during the ship wreck that took place outside the lighthouse in On Christmas Eve, 1886. Marshall Light used in the movie Forrest Gump? Maybe Sequin Light where is is reported that a lighthouse keeper was driven mad by his wife repeatedly playing the same sheet of music over and over, driving him to murder and suicide.
To view some images visit
No comments posted.